Request for Windows XP help. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2006, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Request for Windows XP help.

Since upgrading the OS to Windows XP on my Compaq Presario 7AP170 computer I've been getting the following error message when I boot up:

TaskPanl.exe - Unable to Locate Component

X This application failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

My computer is roughly seven years old. Its original OS was Windows 98. Which I upgraded to ME then XP.
I unsucessfully attempted to install XP on top up ME.
When this failed I did a full installation of XP using my XP upgrade CD. It was at this point that I began getting the error message I'm writing about.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Old 06-15-2006, 04:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Did you do a full format before installing XP? You might need to do this and install again :S

Old 06-15-2006, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to Tox1cThreat

try wiping the disk, then (since you only have upgrade CDs), install Win98, and upgrade to XP, if it give you problems (i.e. cant upgrade from Win98) then boot to the XP CD and run it through that dont overwrite Win98 but upgrade it.

Make sure to back up your data tho..

If your comptuer is 7 years old, you might just want to invest in a new one......
Old 06-15-2006, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

install it
The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 06-17-2006, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I thought about wiping my HDD, reformatting, then reinstalling the OS but it's not worth the trouble. If there's no way to get rid of the error Message otherwise i'll deal with it.

I downloaded and installed the file. No luck. I'm still getting the error message.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Best wishes all!

Closed Thread