Request for Windows XP help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeless tony

Beta member
Since upgrading the OS to Windows XP on my Compaq Presario 7AP170 computer I've been getting the following error message when I boot up:

TaskPanl.exe - Unable to Locate Component

X This application failed to start because MFC71.DLL was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

My computer is roughly seven years old. Its original OS was Windows 98. Which I upgraded to ME then XP.
I unsucessfully attempted to install XP on top up ME.
When this failed I did a full installation of XP using my XP upgrade CD. It was at this point that I began getting the error message I'm writing about.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Andy

Did you do a full format before installing XP? You might need to do this and install again :S

try wiping the disk, then (since you only have upgrade CDs), install Win98, and upgrade to XP, if it give you problems (i.e. cant upgrade from Win98) then boot to the XP CD and run it through that dont overwrite Win98 but upgrade it.

Make sure to back up your data tho..

If your comptuer is 7 years old, you might just want to invest in a new one......

I thought about wiping my HDD, reformatting, then reinstalling the OS but it's not worth the trouble. If there's no way to get rid of the error Message otherwise i'll deal with it.

Eric,

I downloaded and installed the file. No luck. I'm still getting the error message.

Thanks for the support anyway.

Best wishes all!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom