replication error

Status
Not open for further replies.

selina

In Runtime
the w2003 r2 server in a branch office is not replicating with exchange server 2003 in the main office. they are both DC and located in different states.

I ran dcdiag on the problematic server in the branch office and replication from the exchange server came back failure as follow:
============================================
Starting test: Replications
[Replications Check,BranchServer1] A recent replication attempt failed:
From ExchangeServer to BranchServer1
Naming Context: DC=ForestDnsZones,DC=Domain,DC=com
The replication generated an error (1256):
The remote system is not available. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help.
The failure occurred at 2007-07-12 10:33:21.
The last success occurred at 2007-07-12 04:31:35.
24 failures have occurred since the last success.
=============================================
I pinged the exchange server from the problem server with its name, ip address and the CNAME and they all responded in a reasonable amount of time.

Dcdiag run on the exchange server returns no error.

What do I next to fix this replication problem?

i found this article from MS
Error message in a Windows Server 2003-based domain or in a Windows 2000 Server-based domain: "The remote procedure call failed and did not run"

one of the solution is as follows. But i don't know how to capture a network trace...
can someone direct me to a right direction, pl?

To verify the RPC connectivity, follow these steps to capture network traffic:
1. Capture a network trace on both replication partner domain controllers at the same time.
2. Try to synchronize replication from one of the domain controllers.
3. Verify that the replication initiator sends the RPC Bind request on the replication RPC process.
4. Verify that the RPC Bind request arrives at the replication partner subnet.
5. Verify that the replication partner sends the RPC Bind Ack answer to the replication partner subnet.

We changed the following around the same time and one or both of them fixed the problem:

1. in AD sites and services, the problem DC was replicating from the exchange server, with which, didn't replicate. This server was also the only one that was replicating from the Exchange server and this entry was done manually. So we changed the "replicate from" server to the PDC.

2. Changed the MTU size on the firewall.

Anyways, all DC's replicate now and problem is solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom