replacing windows with linux but not loosing files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ste2425

Baseband Member
i want to install linux on my computer that had windows on. Basicly the 30 day trial thing has run out and i dont like windows enough to buy it but i dont want to loose my files that are on the computer but i crnt log on to access them and move them, so does any1 no how to install linux but not delete all my files? even if it meand dual boot, find the files then formatt the hard drive and start again with just linux

cheers ste

Use a Linux LiveCD. From there take the data you want off and then install Linux.

ok thanks for the help :D how would i get hold of one of them? would the free iso file to install linux ubuntu do that? or is this a seperate thing?

hi i download ubuntu 8.10 i think it was, or a least the latest disk, butrnt it onto disk and when i boot up cd first it loads up fine but i crnt find it anywhere to get the files of the hard disk, do you no how?
cheers
ste

Are you in the LiveCD environment? You should be able to go to Places > Storage Media (or something similar...can't quite remember) > and find your hard drives that way. Should be able to navigate like you normally would in Windows.

really you should have backed up your files
open the terminal and issue the following commands
su - #type in the root password
ls -l /dev/{hd*,sd*} #will bring up a list of your HDD partitions there is probably only a couple there
mkdir /mnt/whatever
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever #this is assuming that /dev/sda1 is the target partition and that it is ntfs
cd /mnt/whatever
ls #this should look familiar

really you should have backed up your files
open the terminal and issue the following commands
su - #type in the root password
ls -l /dev/{hd*,sd*} #will bring up a list of your HDD partitions there is probably only a couple there
mkdir /mnt/whatever
mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 /mnt/whatever #this is assuming that /dev/sda1 is the target partition and that it is ntfs
cd /mnt/whatever
ls #this should look familiar

He is backing up his files..that's why he's trying to load the LiveCD to backup files before he installs it. Terminal isn't necessary...Ubuntu should be able to mount the partitions without trouble...it always has been able to for me anyway, as long as I go through the "Places" area.

Lol. I'm only doing it this way because this is the way I know and feel comfortable with.
This is not the ideal time to be backing up files. That would be like waiting for the HDD to explode before backing up. You are supposed to backup before you have the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom