Repeating License Error : 0x80090006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greencow_555

Baseband Member
Hi all, :)

I'm having a problem with windows XP pro.

I have both windows 7 and xp on my desktop, each on seperate hard drives. They've worked fine until now.

I booted into XP yesterday and was given Error code: 0x80090006, and was not allowed to login.

The help on the Microsoft site isn't helping as I don't use ghost or drive image pro, nor do I have any wpa.bak file on the xp drive.

I tried windows repair by booting off the xp disk, and it worked. I can boot up into xp as many times as I like, BUT if I boot into windows 7, then immediately after windows xp starts giving me the error code again and I have to run repair just to access my files.

I can't see windows 7 has changed any drive letters when I boot up,

does anyone have any ideas?

:)

Are both versions of Windows legal and fully activated, prior to the error?

When your in Windows XP is your Windows 7 drive accessible or have you disabled it, and vice versa.

How did you install XP? Was it installed on another system using that drive and you took it out of that system and put it in your current system or did you actually install it on this machine and that is when this problem occured?

Thanks for your responses guys. :)

@slaymate
Both versions of windows are legit, and yes, the drives for each operating system are visible from each operating system. I didn't know a drive could be disabled? I'm guessing this might stop windows 7 affecting the xp drive thatis causing the license error?

@KSOD
Both drives have been installed on the present system, and working fine for the last 3 months, until now.

I can boot into safe mode (disabled networking) fine, but once I'm there, there's not much I can do. I can seem to find anything wrong with the drive labelling or anyway to run a diagnostic that would fix any such issue.

You should be able to disable the drive that is not in use through Device Manager. To be honest I don't think it should matter but it might help you out, it can't hurt to try. I disable my drives with other OS's on them, but I have at times enabled them for random tasks. But I've never had your problem so I'm only making guesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom