Repartitioning Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

getmoreatp

Beta member
Hello all,

My computer that I built myself has 2 identical SATA hard drives. One has OpenSUSE installed, the other (the one I use) is Windows XP SP2. Now the windows drive is like this:

C: 97.65 GB
D:111.94 GB
Unknown: 23.29 GB

Originally a friend configured it for me as above, saying that in case of a malware infection on drive C I could still get to my documents on drive D. Problem is I'm now constantly switching Explorer windows from one to the other, and it's getting very annoying. I have Avast Free Edition and Comodo Firewall Pro, and I surf safely, watch my downloads and use McAfee Siteadvisor, so I think I'm fairly safe from malware.

So, my question is: How do I combine the 3 partitions on drive C the fastest, safest, and free way? I've Googled for a solution and seems I should use something called GParted or a GRUB tool, but as they seem to be Linux based, and I have no experience with Linux, I'm a little hesitant about doing anything yet.

In addition, I'd like to replace the SUSE on my other HDD with Ubuntu which I have a disk of. I heard that SUSE is too hard to use, and Ubuntu is more Windows-user friendly. Is that correct? Also, right now if I plug in both HDD's my computer always boots into Linux, no matter what I do in BIOS. I'd like to be able to dual-boot between the two but somebody told me that's risky or something like that. Is that true?

Thanks for the replies!

GParted will be your best bet. Either that or Acronis Disk Director.

I highly suggest keeping your data stored on a separate partition (or better yet another drive). It makes things 100X easier when things go wrong, because you don't have to worry about losing your important data, just the os install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom