Repairing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperman5000

In Runtime
OK, I got a message that a file was missing or corrupted and I need to repair XP Pro. I already know how, so that's not the question. The problem is; I can't seem to locate the CD. I have another copy of XP Home, can I use that? Also, I haven't done a back up in a while, so I don't want to lose everything. Any ideas?

Not sure if you can do a Pro repair with a Home CD. Maybe yes, maybe no. Plus the key would be different. I suggest slaving the drive into another box and move your files just in case it craps out.

Where did you get the message from? A website? If so dont believe it. If you booted and it says this then you might have a problem.

A XP Home CD wont work. You will need a XP Pro CD. You can find one at any torrent site. As long as you have your serial available you will be fine.

Just doing a repair install wont lose any files.

Where did you get the message from? A website? If so dont believe it.
Come on now, who actually believes those?
If you booted and it says this then you might have a problem.

A XP Home CD wont work. You will need a XP Pro CD. You can find one at any torrent site. As long as you have your serial available you will be fine.

Just doing a repair install wont lose any files.
Yeah, it booted and said that. What do you mean if I still have my serial number? I wrote it on the CD so I wouldn't have to remember it. Can I just use one of my friends XP Pro discs if I can't find mine?

Yeah you can use any XP Pro disc. Also google for RockXP. That will get your serial for you. You dont need it for a Repair install but it is still good to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom