Repair Option not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonnyb

Solid State Member
Doing a repair on XP Home and choosing the second R just to repair my XP install without a fresh install. I don't get this option to hit R to repair. I only get the option to Format instead.
Why cannot I get the repair option? I am using an OEM Dell CD for a repair. Not a restore disk. A restore disk to me has drivers for that particular computer and reinstalls all the drivers.

Is it that my Dell OEM doesn't give me the repair option or is it that it's XP Home?

I do have a Retail version of XP Home and Pro. Will these CDs still not give me the second R like the Oem one?

BTW:
I don't want to go into the Recovery Console. I want just to learn why I am not getting this repair option. I know how to use Recovery Console so don't tell me to try that.

Just want to rules on why I can sometimes get the repair option and sometimes not.

Use the retail disk of XP Home and the serial for the installation of Windows already on the computer. Most OEM disks from computer manufacturers are not full Windows disks, especially if you got it in the last four to five years or so.

I use retail disks to repair OEM installations all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom