repair install scare

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Do work.
So I replaced my motherboard and went to do a repair install, but the CD I had for it, Windows XP Pro slipstreamed with SP2 and a couple other goodies, didn't have the repair option on it!!! I was scared I was going to have to reformat, which would have been a hassle since I just reformatted a few weeks ago.

So I happend to have two other copies of XP Pro. SP2 and Corp. Edition. I put in the SP2 one and it wouldn't even boot from it. I was starting to freak out some more at this point.

I put in the Corp. Edition one and it worked! It actually had the repair option. So that's happening now as I type this on my laptop :crosses fingers:. So when it prompts, I just put in my serial number that's on the copy of Windows that was already installed, right?

Anybody else have a similar scare ever?

well that didn't work.

it kept asking for all these nvidia drivers that i couldn't find on any of the CD's I had. I check the windows cds, motherboard cd, vid. card cd, etc. couldn't find half the drivers. so when it finished, it wouldn't boot into windows. oh well. guess i gotta reformat.

luckily windows is in its own partition. i'll only lose firefox data.

i had to get a new motherboard. the new one has the same chipset, but i didn't want to boot straight to windows and get the blue screen of death that's common with motherboard changes. so i tried to do a repair install. for some reaon that didn't work, so i reformatted instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom