Removing a user from Global Address List on Exchange server

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcschris

Solid State Member
Hello,

Where I work we use the global address book to mail other employees in the company. In this address list are email addresses that we use to get data into our company, there is an email address for incoming files, an email address for incoming technology requests, etc. How can I remove someone from the global address list without deleting their user info?

you remove them from the distrobution group in active directory. so say that john doe is in the group email labeled "technology". open up active directory, can even be done through a dc and not exchange. go to the distro groups ou and open up the "technology" group, click on memebers tab, click the member, click remove.

This would be the case, but the problem is actually with the Global Address List and not a distribution group. It seems like for some reason there is no way to make emails not show up in this global list. Is the simple answer to make a distribution group and have everyone email to that instead, or is there some kind of setting in Active Directory to remove a user/email from this list? Any other suggestions are appreciated.

so you want to give the user an email and not have it show up in the global address list?

i like distro groups if multi people are getting the same type of email.

but what your saying is you dont want anyone to see this person email address inside the company?

One particular email that is used in our company is one that was created specifically for the purpose of outside data being delivered to our tech department. There are a couple emails like this, and when people go through the global list they have to skip over them when they go to email all. I would just make a contact list for everyone, but then I would have to update this every time someone left.

Basically what I am trying to do is make the global list only show actual employees at the company.

If you remove the custom attributes in the advanced settings of the exchange portion of there account in AD this should prevent it from displaying in the GAL there is also an option to hide from Exchange address book, which may be what you are looking for?

That did the trick! It was simply a check box under "Exchange Advanced." I had seen that before but for some reason I didn't process it. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom