Removing AVG toolbar from Firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

s37d

Banned
Just incase anyone else is having the same issues...

I just installed a new copy of both Firefox and AVG. AVG apparently partnered w/Yahoo! so now there's a Yahoo! search box that gets built into your browser. I don't like this. I tried to remove it by disabling the addon but it didn't work. I also tried to delete the addon in the addons folder of Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox but it wasn't there. So, after looking in different files for awhile, I realized that by opening up extensions.ini, which resides in your \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename.default folder, you can edit out the AVG part. Just highlight and delete the line that references to AVG's folder, save the file, and poof the bar disappears.

You should be able to remove the toolbar from the addons section. If not just go under the add/remove applications area in the control panel. The option should be there as well.

Everything has to have a way to be uninstalled. Just have to find it. Going into the Profiles folder should not have to happen. I dont personally use AVG i use Avast. But i know there has to be a way to remove it.

Just incase anyone else is having the same issues...

I just installed a new copy of both Firefox and AVG. AVG apparently partnered w/Yahoo! so now there's a Yahoo! search box that gets built into your browser. I don't like this. I tried to remove it by disabling the addon but it didn't work. I also tried to delete the addon in the addons folder of Program Files\Mozilla\Firefox but it wasn't there. So, after looking in different files for awhile, I realized that by opening up extensions.ini, which resides in your \Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\profilename.default folder, you can edit out the AVG part. Just highlight and delete the line that references to AVG's folder, save the file, and poof the bar disappears.

select view>toolbars> uncheck it and you don't see it anymore.

If I find a toolbar that I cant get rid of , I just go into hijack this under the BHO section and get rid of it there LOL

If I find a toolbar that I cant get rid of , I just go into hijack this under the BHO section and get rid of it there LOL

That is also a very good suggestion. That will remove it as well. Using something like Revo Uninstaller, which is better than the Default Windows unisntaller, should get rid of it too. I dont install Toolbars so i haevnt tried it yet. :p

The Hijack This logs. Go down about 5 forums to the Virus section and read thru the Analyze area. That is what a hijack this log looks like.

That is also a very good suggestion. That will remove it as well. Using something like Revo Uninstaller, which is better than the Default Windows unisntaller, should get rid of it too. I dont install Toolbars so i haevnt tried it yet. :p

The only problem with my suggestion is that Hijackthis is an advanced application and not to be taken lightly. Easy to mess stuff up if you dont know what you are doing heh.

But for me it works when necessary. I am a networking tech that deals with removing spyware a lot though.

Ah thanks. Never heard of Hijackthis. Is it something that you should run and have analyzed every so often just to make sure theres no spyware on your system?

One of the pic wasn't working in the tutorial section for Hijackthis: http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd71/landjr/1-4.jpg

Before you try hijackthis I would go here http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-165828/

and use normal spyware detection and removal apps. Hijackthis is usually just for letting professionals take a second look or if everything you try doesnt get rid of the infection. :)

I suggest definately running stuff like Spybot search and destroy and Adaware to check for infections. Those programs, unlike Hijackthis, can remove infections without causing harm usually.

Yea I just read the spyware removal guide right before I read your post. I've used almost all those methods in the past on my pc and on friends pc's. I wasn't asking what I should do to prevent spyware, my pc is pretty secure. I was just curious if hijackthis should be run on a frequent basis like, say, a virus scan. But I guess it's for more dire circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom