Remote Tech Support - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to digital_ninja2k Send a message via MSN to digital_ninja2k Send a message via Yahoo to digital_ninja2k
Default Remote Tech Support

Okay, here is my situation.

I, like may of you I'm sure, always get wrangled into doing family tech support. My Grandmother is *JUST* getting into email and barely knows how to handle it. My mother's base of knowledge is limited exclusively to checking her email, editing her netflix movie list and select other very simple Internet activities (it took me a week of repeated example to teach her how to upload pictures from her digital camera). And then there's my little brother. Don't get me wrong, he knows all kinds of stuff about email, games and Internet trolling but nothing useful.

The major problem here is that my family lives in Kentucky. I, since getting married, however live in the Niagara region of Canada. Obviously I can't sit down at the machine to work on it is out of the question and trying to explain some of this stuff to my family makes them regard me like I'm speaking Plutonian or something.

As an added complication all of my machines (custom built Desktop and an Insperon Laptop from Dell) run XP and my mom was unlucky enough to order a Dell desktop with Vista as the only option as the OS.

So, here's my conundrum. I need a remote desktop program that is cross platform and incredibly easy to use as I've never messed with one of these programs before. Also, and here's a big thing, I need it to be free.

any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: Remote Tech Support

You can always use Remote Desktop, or try setting up UltraVNC for them. Then all they have to do is double-click an icon and they can connect to you (I know there's a way to do this with UVNC, just havent got it set up to try for myself).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to digital_ninja2k Send a message via MSN to digital_ninja2k Send a message via Yahoo to digital_ninja2k

Thanks. UltraVNC looks great. Just finished the dowload and took a look.

I especially like that it can be run by either installing it on the machine or not. I tend to keep many of my tech support programs on a 2 gb thumb drive and run them from there rather than opting to install them.

Again, thank you and from what I can tell so far this appears to be exactly what I was looking for.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)
S e c u r e d

Meeting Place (or something like that will work too, all the end user has to do is allow control and follow directions.

edited b/c vista is... well .... you know.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brady View Post
edited b/c vista is... well .... you know.
Yes, sadly I do.

P.S. You sig disturbs me. lol
Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Private Joker

No problem, glad I could help =).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 05-06-2008, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I like logmein

it's available wherever you have internet, dont have to worry about firewalls and its compatible with vista and mac's too.

and it's free

With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Closed Thread