Remote printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Printer Mike

Beta member
I have a System with an attached printer running Windows 2000 Pro, SP4. The printer is shared. No problems there.

A second system running XP SP1 is also attached to my home LAN.
Using the Add Printer Wizard
-Select Network Printer
-Browse for a Printer

I get the following results

User A (administrator) Sees the printer and works OK.
User B (Limited) Sees the printer and works OK
User C (Limited) Sees the printer and works OK
User D (Limited) Does not see the printer.!!!!!
User E (Admin) (added to fault find) also does not see the printer!!

Both Systems are in the same workgroup.

Any suggestions welcome.

Mike

What happens if you open My Network Places and browse for the printer. Can you see the printer and/or any shares?

-Mike

Ok, can you browse from the XP pc to the 2000 pc and double click on the 2000 PC and then double click on the printer that shows.

-Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Users A, B & C can all browse to the network and attach to the remote printer OK.

Users D & E ask for a LOGON & Password when attaching to the 2000 PC. When this is given they can then see the remote printer and configure it OK.

So now all Users can see the remote printer.
However when Users D & E run the Add Printer Wizard from the XP PC and then browse the network the printer is still not displayed. But at least all the users can print.

I tried making users D & E administrators on both machines, but this had no effect.

Must be another Microsoft feature...

Printer Mike

If they are getting a prompt for a password,, to be authenticated, I would think possibly that D & E may not be part of the Network,, ??

Are they in the same "domain" or "Workgroup"?

This sounds like an authetication as to whether or Not, D & E have Domain/workgroup permissions,,

cheers,

Look in the security log, probably the the passwords dont match...
Have you tried setting it up so "Everyone" can print?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom