remote log off

Status
Not open for further replies.

applepiemichael

Solid State Member
hello

just a quick question

is it possible to remotly log off a remote computer on network with the administrator user and password for the remote computer

this is windows xp

please post back asap if you know how i could do this

thanx in advance

use mstsc and then logon. That will prompt if a person is still logged on. if you select to continue, it will log them off and allow you to log on.

Also, shutdown.exe, which I think is installed with XP of from the NT4 admin kit,
shutdown.exe -r -m \\computername -t 00

that will reboot the machine remotely. You can't use that to log someone off, as it's only designed for local use.
There is another method using WMI, but I can't recall off hand.

hope that helps.

when tring to use the shutdown.exe way i get access denied errors how would i put in the username and password of administrator on the remote machine

can't, unless you can run a process on your machine as that user. The only way to do that is with the MSTC way, or the WMI way. still can't remember the WMI way, but here is a work around.
run compmgmt.msc.
when the console opens, right click computer management (Local) and select connect to another computer. At the prompt, type in the computer name or IP that you want to connect to. Then it should prompt you for login credentials, since you don't have them. Once you are connected, right click Computer management again, and select properties. Then wait for it to load. Once loaded, go to the advanced tab, click settings under startup and recovery, then shutdown (near the bottom). Choose log off current user and always, then click ok. That will log them off.

good luck

i like the idea of your work around but it does not ask me for credentals and if i try and access users then it says access denied do you know of a way i could force it to use given credentals

thanx again

Doesn't look like you have powerful enough rights to do this on your network.
You may have an .adm acct but If you keep getting access denied you don't have a powerful enought admin account.

ok, this is what I'm thinking... Create an account on your local machine that mirrors the account on the remote machine. IE, same name and password. lets say they are admin:password1
Then open a run dialog and type the following
runas /user:admin cmd.exe
press enter, and then at the prompt type: Password1 and press enter. That should allow you to run a cmd session as admin locally to your machine. THen type compmgmt.msc at the command line. This will open computer management as admin. Then try to connect to the remote machine as I described it above.

good luck

ok, so this is not on a domain? I think your not going to have much joy with this then... Domain operations are the only way to make this work easily.

Something else I just thought of would be to add the local machine accounts from the other computers to the local admins group from another machine. I think it's possible, but I could be wrong. when you add that a remote use \\machine\account and see if that works...

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom