Remote Desktop and Group Polices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattr

Beta member
I have recently rebuilt a client's network from the ground up. (new switches, servers, and desktop pc's) Every thing has gone well thus far. Except…… some folks work from home using Remote Desktop. I am able to grant them access by adding each of them directly to group permissions in Terminal Services Configuration on the local machine. (I now this is not best practice) This only works for the day. Something happens over night to over ride this permission. Using gpresult.exe I found that this server (2003) is getting its group permissions from a server that no longer exists. How do I change this to get its group polices from the server in control. I believe it is an active directory issue, but not sure.

Here is info on the servers.
XXXDC01= (server 2003) Domain Controller, active directory, exchange 2007. (also not best practice)

Xxxtops01= (server 2003 ) applications, print server, file server. This is my problem child for RDP. I need for this device to get its policy information/permissions from the above server.

Any help would be great, Thanks in advance

Matt

I believe it is an active directory issue, but not sure.

Matt

I believe you are right.

Do you have the Administrator's credentials for logging on ? Temporarily-speaking anyways ? If you don't then have the Administrator(s) of the network apply permissions for the target server that you are speaking of. I'm not sure to what capability you have to access resources on this network in other words.

I believe you would delete the old server from the domain controllers group and then use an existing group policy and modify to include the server you are talking about. And if one doesn't exist yet, a group policy could be created to include whatever servers you need plus the one in question.

I know this is vague, but I don't have more specifics (such as the general permissions of the computers on the network). There are many things such as inherited permissions - what is the heirarchy of computers, are there other servers involved on the network ? There are permissions that are passed down through the domain depending on the permissions, group policies, etc.

Basically what I am saying is it sounds to me like you have to delete that old server, and then apply new permissions for that server. I am guessing, but it sounds like these two computers should be in a group together, if they aren't already.

Thank you oldskool,
That was just enough info to trigger the "O YAAAA" in my head. perfict. Thanks. I also learned not to make thoes changes while files are open. OOOPS my bad. All is well now

Thanks Again,
Matt

Nice ! Well a happy ending. Good for you :D

Attn. Admins,

This thread can be closed if Mattr agrees of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom