Remote Desktop Connection

luke127

The Ghost
Okay guys I have another question. See I want to set up a remote desktop connection with my cousins PC and no they are not in the same network. Secondly they are running different versions of Windows.

Cousins: Windows XP Pro
Me: Windows 7 Home Premium

It is possible to set up an RDC with them via the internet? If someone could help me here I would greatly appreciate it. NOTE: I will be at my cousins house today so I can do any necessary prep myself on either PC.

Easiest way to do it is either through Join.me or TeamViewer. You can install TeamViewer full, and they can just download the "Instant Customer" application (no install needed - just need to run the program) and then they can give you their 9-digit ID and 4-digit password.

Thanks. When I get over there I'll install the application. Thanks Carnage.
EDIT: Can this porgram allow me to make changes to the settings?

What settings? System settings?

It gives you control over the user's computer...so yes..you can change settings. You can do whatever you normally could if you were sitting in front of the computer.

You can use various remote support services such as gosupportnow, logmeinrescue, etc. in order to establish remote desktop connection between XP and Windows 7.

What settings? System settings?

It gives you control over the user's computer...so yes..you can change settings. You can do whatever you normally could if you were sitting in front of the computer.
There are some limitations that make it so it's not exactly like you were sitting in front of the computer. For instance, you can't access the BIOS settings since TeamViewer won't be loaded until AFTER the machine boots and Windows loads. In addition, if the machine is shutdown from a TeamViewer session, you won't be able to power it back up.

There are some limitations that make it so it's not exactly like you were sitting in front of the computer. For instance, you can't access the BIOS settings since TeamViewer won't be loaded until AFTER the machine boots and Windows loads. In addition, if the machine is shutdown from a TeamViewer session, you won't be able to power it back up.

I was referring to the settings within the OS itself.

Yes, I know you can't access the BIOS via RDP, but luke was referring to the OS settings.

Back
Top Bottom