Reinstlal OS after changing Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advancedgeek

Daemon Poster
Do you really need to reinstall the OS after you install a new motherboard? because i left my OS as it is and it is pretty stable and won't give me any BSOD. But I have some few minor problems that come up recently and thought it might be that i really have to reinstall my OS so tell me if i really need to reinstall my OS or not

Most of the time you have to. It depends on how similiar the new mobo is to the old one. When there are two many hardware changes the HAL ( hardware abstraction layer ) in your os will get confused. On a PC, HAL can basically be considered to be the driver for the motherboard and allows instructions from higher level computer languages to communicate with lower level components, such as directly with hardware.

Basically, if you install a new mobo of the same model, most of the time you can get away with reinstalling some drivers. If it is of a different make you probably need to reinstall the OS. Sometimes though you get lucky.

It depends, usually you do when you use a different mobo than your last. Sometimes you can get it to boot and work just fine as in your case. What problems are you having?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom