Reinstalling XP But Keeping Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuDioFreaK39

Solid State Member
Is there a way to reinstall only Windows XP (Media Center 2005, a.k.a. xp pro) operating system files but still be able to keep all of your programs? My comp has a partition on the hard drive that restores the whole computer back to its original factory settings (its a Dell Dimension 8400).

Yeah, upgrading should work just fine. But there are some versions of xp pro that dont allow you to upgrade (also vice versa).

All you need to do is find your Windows XP CD, pop it in, and do an upgrade install. This will write over the entire windows folder, and possibly some documents and settings folders. Good luck.

The only options when I put in the CD are:

• Install Windows XP
  • Learn more about the setup process
  • Install optional Windows components
  • Perform additional tasks
  • Check system compatibility

When I click on Install Windows XP, the options it gives me are Upgrade, and New Install. My comp already has SP2, which is what the Upgrade will install. If i click Upgrade, will it just reinstall the Windows SP2 files?

I think only if the cd has the SP2 files one it, other wise, I'm not 100% sure but it will just delete all the other files and revert your system back to a normal upgrade.

IF anyone has successfully done a repair, let me know, I have YET to figure THAT one out...I've tried...and can't do it. I always end up to a fresh install. Thankfully, I almost always have all my programs backed up on a secondary hard drive. I only lost two things the last time I formatted. My palm pilot *brain* which is a disaster now cause the palm went into a hard reset and went crazy and I lost it before hot syncing to the computer again, and my favorites...but I had a copy of those backed up from Dec. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom