Reinstalling Windows makes old files disappear???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockneychimp

Beta member
Hi,

I've scanned the FAQs & can't find an answer to my problem so I've decided to post. Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question, but as a newbie to tech forums I was hoping someone might be able to take pity & help me out!!

I've just reinstalled Windows XP Pro for the first time ever as boot-up times and general sluggishness was getting really annoying. I backed up all my files onto my external hard drive and used the system recovery CD that came with my laptop to reinstall Windows. All appeared to have gone swimmingly until I looked at the properties of my C: drive. Windows is telling me that 60GB is used, leaving 20GB free.

I (probably stupidly) assumed that reinstalling windows would erase all the files and documents which were contained on the C: drive (as I write this It's dawning on me how stupid I sound!), which would include all the music I have (~20GB). Although the 'My Music' folder is now empty, as is the 'My Videos' folder, the amount of used space on my hard drive is the same as it was pre-reinstall. Having checked the properties of the root folders in the C: drive I can't find any more than 5GB taken up. Where's the other 55GB hiding?!

I thought that maybe the reading was an error, but a look through the 'Program Files' folder however makes me think that this reading of how much space I have on my C: drive is not an error, as the folder contains all the programs I had on my computer before reinstallation (e.g. Adobe CS3 programs, Football Manager etc).

Now I think I've managed to lock away all the files I had before in some untouchable place that I can't get to!

If anyone has a kind enough heart to help out an idiot who doesn't know what to do next I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you

when you ran your system recovery, you should have pick the destructive option

Use a Hard drive wipe. Look up Boot and nuke. Its a bit long to Format the harddrive completely but It will Definitely make sure there is Nothing left over from your hard drive.

But as someone else already posted You might have just Installed over the "freespace" that was left on your partition.

And if you do reinstall, make sure you choose "Destructive" That should take care of everything also. *nods* **edit** Just saw that ericB Already said that :( **edit**

If you have any Q's on Boot and nuke, Just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom