reinstalling window xp - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

ok nvm i found out what a torrent is but i still need to know how to check what the original version was of xp home

Old 11-10-2006, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to DerekGoodson

Wow, reading these posts... It would be cheaper and less stress to just go to Office Max and purchase Windows XP Home Edition for the $49 they want for it.... It is on sale for a few more days... I bought 6 of them just a couple of days ago... Just thought I would throw that thought your way, it will fix all the problems that you are going though...

Owner of Derek's Custom Computers
www.DereksCustomComputers.com
Old 11-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Why you buy six copies? Overkill
Old 11-10-2006, 11:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by DerekGoodson
Wow, reading these posts... It would be cheaper and less stress to just go to Office Max and purchase Windows XP Home Edition for the $49 they want for it.... It is on sale for a few more days... I bought 6 of them just a couple of days ago... Just thought I would throw that thought your way, it will fix all the problems that you are going though...
no it is actuallualy easiere to spend 30 minutes - 1 hour downloading it for free, then use his serial

btw.. hiram do you have an I386 folder on your c drive?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Shannon Send a message via Yahoo to Shannon

If this was a pre-assembled machine like dell, emachine, etc. another thing to consider is that these computers often have hidden partitions that are used to detect that it was a dell, emachine, etc. And you sometimes can't use the key if that partition is gone.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:52 AM   #16 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Shannon
If this was a pre-assembled machine like dell, emachine, etc. another thing to consider is that these computers often have hidden partitions that are used to detect that it was a dell, emachine, etc. And you sometimes can't use the key if that partition is gone.
yes you can. you just got to find the right windows version cd
Old 11-11-2006, 10:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well no its a new harddrive so its blank the oe harddrive crashed on him or something the needle go's crazy if you plug it in so i had to get a new one
Old 11-12-2006, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

i have the same case as you recently.try installing using that disc and your serial number on your pc.it should work.for meafter that when u sucessfully install windows and boot to the windows screen,they will ask you to activate one more time and most prob when you key in the serial,it won't work.they will ask you to key again.directly call microsoft(free-toll) and talk to the representative and they will ask you for the numbers that is generated when you failed.tell them it is preinstalled and they will give you a new key and windows will be activated.

HDD:Western Digital 2x500Gb
PSU: Corsair AX750 Gold
CPUCooling: Noctua NH-U12P
Casing: RaidMax Case
Closed Thread