reinstalling window xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram

Solid State Member
please help reinstalling window xp

First of all hi everyone, well i have my computer i bought from a buddy of mine.
harddrive was bad,got a new westerndigital 80g hd for it know here is my problem i dont have a disk to install windowsxp on it i only have the serial# sticker that came with it what should i do i really dont want to have to buy the program when i have the sticker already
O yeah i have a copy someone gave me but no serial# for it i tried one of those programs that generates serial #but it did not work

you can probably call microsoft and tell them your serial number and get them to send you a new CD.

i did try the key on the other disck but no lock,i called microsft and they said since im not registered as the owner they cant help me i called my friend up he said (i cant help you)I know what a pal right

how do they know you aren't the owner. i dont ever remember having to register my cd key when i bought it. just tell them you are and see where that gets you.

ANY CD of the exact Windows version will install with that CD key (serial)...
Exact, means if it was an update, you will need an update CD; if it is Pro, you will need Pro; if it was Home, you will need Home; if it is an OEM copy, you will need the OEM CD.

According to my understanding, it is legal for you to do this, since you own the computer on which the sticker is stuck.

BTW - key generators are a BAD idea. Microsoft tests keys and they know if your key is valid - and if it is not, they can shut your WHOLE COMPUTER down. MS has an anti-piracy company that will go after offenders - at $100k per incident... it's much cheaper to just buy the software.

penfold said:
ANY CD of the exact Windows version will install with that CD key (serial)...
Exact, means if it was an update, you will need an update CD; if it is Pro, you will need Pro; if it was Home, you will need Home; if it is an OEM copy, you will need the OEM CD.

According to my understanding, it is legal for you to do this, since you own the computer on which the sticker is stuck.

BTW - key generators are a BAD idea. Microsoft tests keys and they know if your key is valid - and if it is not, they can shut your WHOLE COMPUTER down. MS has an anti-piracy company that will go after offenders - at $100k per incident... it's much cheaper to just buy the software.

This advice is right on the money and saved me some typing..lol. Personally if it were me...I would browse a torrent site for the proper version of XP you need. I would search for the All In One DVD which has every version of XP built into it...its not illegal since you have a legit key, you simply need the media. As anyone in the industry knows you are not really buying the media when you purchase XP, but the COA...in theory..that is an entire other topic ;)

when i called them to ask for the disk they said since the comp it self was under someone elses name only they would give it to that person,

second i know im going to sound dumb but what is a torrent i have never heard of that

o yeah the one i have is xp home the comp is only a year old i think its a Compaq Presario SR1403WM Desktop PC i think there is different viersions of home so how would i know witch one to get?

Win2kpatcher said:
This advice is right on the money and saved me some typing..lol. Personally if it were me...I would browse a torrent site for the proper version of XP you need. I would search for the All In One DVD which has every version of XP built into it...its not illegal since you have a legit key, you simply need the media. As anyone in the industry knows you are not really buying the media when you purchase XP, but the COA...in theory..that is an entire other topic ;)

whenever I use that dvd, I always get the bsod. However I can use to nlite to make each separate windows on it, into a bootable cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom