Reinstalling win 98se

Status
Not open for further replies.

yin32

Beta member
trying to reformat HD to reinstall win 98se. when booting from win 98se boot disk, I keep getting a prompt of "what type of cd rom drive do you have" have to selet 1,2.or 3 for IDE, scsi, or power drive. when selecting 1, it then asks for system ID #.
I can't get around this to a MS DOS prompt so I can proceed with reformatting hard drive. help?

is it a boot disk that came with your system or did u make/download the boot disk? if it came with your computer, try downloading one or making it yourself. then boot from that

Sounds like it is having trouble identifying your drive.
i am assuming you have a standard IDE CD_ROM. Check that the CDROM is detected correctly in the BIOS.

If so, you should be able to get round this problem by just unplugging the CDROM & letting the BIOS do an autodetect so it knows its no longer there. You should then be able to boot & format the hard drive.

Be aware however, that you may have problems reinstalling the OS if the boot disk still won't detect the CD when reconnected.
Before formatting, I would check to see if your system will boot stright from the Windows 98 CD (remember to set the boot order so CD is first). This will allow you to reinstall without relying on boot disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom