Reinstalling Operating System!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom555

In Runtime
Hi,
Its been one and a half year since i have been using Windows XP SP2! And i never needed to run system error check and neither any disk defragmentor! So when should one reinstall and format a hard drive?

---------------
eric

When you have a problem that you can't fix from the recovery console or have far to many virus infections to make removing them individually worth while.

Hello,

One should do it when one either wants to or has to. You can go by Saxon's approach which is very common for many users. Or you can be like me and format and reinstall ever few months for reasons only known in my sick and twisted mind.

Not really. I beta test and i have to format ever few months cause the Beta applicaitons cause ruckus on my machine. ;)

Cheers,
Mak

The normal user shouldn't ever need to format and reinstall except in cases that Saxon suggested. You don't really need to reinstall on a regular basis. Some people just do it because it fills their need to be doing something technical. Unless you're having serious problems, there's really no need to reinstall.

Just take care of your computer, and run things like CCleaner to keep the clutter cleared.

Re: Reinstalling OS!

Some format and reinstall on a regular schedule, but I'm not one of them. I defrag religiously (well, I have O&O defrag for me), and I check my disks out every couple of weeks.

I have had to format and reinstall on my computer a few times, but each time was because something went haywire and caused more problems than was worth the effort to straighten out. My wife's computer is still running the same XP installation it came with about five years ago. I keep it updated and tuned for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom