Reinstalling my OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

forcemaster99

Baseband Member
I've been having a look around these forums, and ive seen that when you install a new mobo, you have to reinstall the OS. However, i dont have an xp cd, i got a HP computer that has a partition on the hard drive that is especially for reinstalling xp. So i was wondering, if i will be able to use my recovery partition to reinstall xp if i get a new mobo?

Well,
I'm not sure that you can use this recovery partition.
I suppose it has info about your present hardware, and if you'll upgrade the mobo it can entail a problem.

I think that recovery partitions are for a specific computer. They have all the vital info form that PC stored on it. Just like a Image would. So i dont think it will work.

Plus not to mention that M$ changed their licenses. Now if you change your mobo you have to get a new license. Which means buying a new license from them. That is to be totally legit.

Normally when you replace a motherboard you can do a repair installation of Windows BEFORE booting it up so it will recognize the new hardware. I dont think you will have that option with your recovery partition.

forcemaster99 said:
I've been having a look around these forums, and ive seen that when you install a new mobo, you have to reinstall the OS. However, i dont have an xp cd, i got a HP computer that has a partition on the hard drive that is especially for reinstalling xp. So i was wondering, if i will be able to use my recovery partition to reinstall xp if i get a new mobo?

Not neccesarely. There's a 50% chance it will work without fresh install.
Don't know about the restore partition.

If the partition has a "recovery" installation, then no, because it will attempt to install the exact same software and drivers, and you'll be back to square one...or toast. One of the two.

What you should do is talk to their tech support and see what they recommend for doing such an action with their recovery partition.

The real problem with replacing the mobo is not the boot file, but all the drivers and registry connections. The boot file essentially just says "the car's engine is located here." It doesn't tell the OS how to communicate with the hardware.

if i bought an xp cd, would i be able to use that to install xp onto any hardware configuration, 'cause if i can, i'll probably just do that instead.

forcemaster99 said:
if i bought an xp cd, would i be able to use that to install xp onto any hardware configuration, 'cause if i can, i'll probably just do that instead.

Yes, unless it's a Macintosh or some other non x86 compliant machine.

forcemaster99 said:
First I'd contact the comp manufacturer and ask them about obtaining a CD. If they will issue you one, it'll be cheaper. If they won't, contact Microsoft and (calmly) explain the situation. They may offer you a disk at a cheaper rate.

If not, you'll have to buy. Fortunately, XP is cheap now. It's been out long enough for the price to have come down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom