Reinstall XP on laptop with Desktop XP disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
Is it feasible to reinstall XP on a laptop with the XP disc that came with my desktop? Will there be any problems with there being 2 power sources (battery and outlet), and will I still be able to control settings like telling my computer what to do when I close the screen on my laptop, etc? What about drivers?

With branded disks each is bonded to the system it comes with. The disks work along with the files and information stored on the hidden recovery partition of the original hard drive. For replacing the current installation on the laptop you would need a replacement provided by the manufacturer to match the serial number of the unit or simply buy a full install disk and see a totally new installation.

Prebuilds that come with "branded" not just any oem type recovery disks are custom ordered direct from Microsoft with a specific bond to the model series due to information they place on the recovery partition as well as manufacturer's id and other things. If not seen the installer simply won't run!

As the page there shows as well that type of disk won't run like just any normal installation or recovery disk. Now take a desktop recovery disk from a branded system to another branded laptop? that may also have something similar inplace with their own disks.

A full version install disk and download of all drivers needed sees the essentials go on and not the prepackaged softwares that came along with the desktop trying to go on if the installer should run with a recovery disk. The recovery disks are geared to see the drivers for the desktop installed along with any prepackaged softwares.

The first thing likely to be seen will be error messages about the necessary system information not found since factory disks are intentionally bonded to their product line no one else's. A full install disk even OEM will be independent of any one manufacturer for seeing a clean install of Windows put on with or without the original recovery partition intact since the drivers will still have to be downloaded from the support site for the laptop itself.

The best option is to see about replacing the original recovery disk(s) that came with the laptop. That would see the original drivers and anything else remain intact on the recovery partition with the return to factory option remaining.

A full install disk is when you want to start over fresh where drivers and softwares are installed separately. If you decide to see a new larger drive go in without bringing it in to a factory rep at a local repair shop you simply download what is needed from the support site.

You can use a Dell disc on another PC. It is possible. The thing that is missing from the disc's is the drivers which can be easily downloaded.

The fact that everyone is eluding is the legal issue. If you are already using this XP serial on your desktop you can not run it on your laptop as well. That goes against the EULA and License agreement and considered illegal.

You can use a Dell disc or a HP disc or a branded disc on any system. I have personally done it. But i had a separate OEM serial i was using. So i did not violate the License Agreement.

There is nothing out there that says you can't use a branded disc. It is not suggested cause the disc's are tailored for that manufacturer but you can use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom