Reinstall Windows = lost all programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

radicaledward

Beta member
Yay, first post!

Okay, I needed a new master boot record written for linux. (I have a 160 gig windows raid partion, and a small 12 gig hard drive for linux and boot records). The windows recovery console was not exactly helping, so I decided to reinstall windows (not formatting). After I reinstalled windows, everything worked fine, except one thing: I lost my user names. This means that, while the data and program installations are on the harddrive, none of them are in my registry. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, if they got out of it, or if anyone has any Idea how to get lost user names back. Thanks!

Sys specs:
Athlon 64 3000+
74x2 160gb Raid
12gb HDD
X800 Pro 256mb
K8T-Neo(fsr) Motherboard
DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive
CD-R/RW Drive.

Yes... that is the problem... I'm guessing you don't know anyway around reinstalling everything w/o a backed up registry? (I had to reinstall with out backing anything up cause my MBR was screwed up - I couldn't even boot into windows.)

there is a way sure, you just have to re-establish all the links that got disassociated, starting with the profiles. its definately on the advanced side of registry editing, but it is possible.
it's either do that or recreate the id's and re-install all your programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom