Reinstall windows 8.1 64 bit

omegawarrior108

Beta member
Does anyone know if i can use the current hard drive for my computer os then later upgrade my componets and then reinstall the same windows or would i have to get a new os

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Depends on which components you're wanting to upgrade, and depends on which license you have for WIndows. You can replace anything except for the motherboard, as that's considered a "new system" according to Microsoft.

If you have an OEM license...new motherboard, means you legally need to get a new OS. If you have a retail license, you can transfer to another system as long as it's only active on 1 system at a time.

Basically about a whole new computer eventually

So if i get the motherboard i want now i wont have any problems changing anything else around

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep that'll be fine. Even if you did get a new motherboard the license would still work, but as Carnage said it'd be technically against the EULA of your OEM license.

Yep that'll be fine. Even if you did get a new motherboard the license would still work, but as Carnage said it'd be technically against the EULA of your OEM license.
And thus illegal and we shouldn't be suggesting it [emoji14].

Sent from my HTC One

I agree with you both on the advise, if you are doing a fresh install, I would also suggest you copy the drivers off your current hdd.. so the hardware you are keeping can easily be reinstalled. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom