Reinstall Windows 7 without installation disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SandWrrm

Beta member
Hi,
I was wondering if there is any way I can do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 on my laptop without the original installation disk. When I bought my computer (it's an HP Pavilion notebook, if that helps,) it came with Windows pre-installed, so I don't have a disk. At some point, I partitioned my hard drive so I could dual-boot it with Ubuntu-- that was great for my personal use, but now I want to sell my computer, and I'd like to re-install Windows and wipe out everything else on my hard drive. Can it be done?

Did you remove the recovery partition when you dual booted yourself? Most manufacturers create like a 5 to 10 GB partition that is a recovery partition. YOu can boot to that partition and do a complete factory restore of the PC.

If you wipe that out when you were dual booting, your only other options would be to A)request a recovery CD from HP, it'll cost you like $15, or B)find someone with a retail version of your OS on a CD and reinstall using that, then you would have to use the CD key on the bottom of the laptop to activate windows.

Press F11 at boot to access the partition if you didn't erase it.

Thanks! I'll check on that..... I don't think I did, but if so, I guess I'll just order a recovery disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom