Reguarding Microsoft AntiSpyware

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyHi

Daemon Poster
I do like it, it finds just about everything, and for FREE! I'd recommend it to everyone running Windows. For those of you who are worried about the Trojan specific to this new beta program (Bankash-A), just don't have it's real-time protection enabled.. Usually you'll know if you have spyware, _worms_, etc... However, Bankash-A hasn't infected many people yet, as if it's any good (or bad :(), then it will infect more, and therefore superceed Microsoft, unless they find a cure! (Which I trust they will). However, I found, and removed, many differnt things with this.. plus it gives a description of it all.

Many thanks to Microsoft for this brillian piece of software.

P.S. - ONLY download it from Microsoft's official site
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en&Hash=7SCPHJC

Steve

Paranoia

I run MS anti spyware, Spyware Blaster, Lavasoft Adaware, Spybot, Sygate, and AVG, with a cable broadband connection and wireless network, and have no problems. Being paranoid when it comes to net security is a must!

I use Norton A/V Corporate EDT. and mozilla firefox (properly configured). And I have not problems at all. But like once every 2 weeks I do a spyware scan, and it comes back clean every single time. That is all most people need. And also I refuse to get SP2!

An additional factor is that MS AntiSpyware has been in beta since Microsoft acquired and renamed the program formerly known as Giant AntiSpyware in November. Many magazines dislike rating beta software.

Windows Secrets reader Bob Wilson has been conducting his own tests of the two competing programs. He's achieved some very interesting findings:

"I started using CounterSpy several months ago when it was first introduced. I then installed [the free, beta version of] Microsoft AntiSpyware. I thought that, due to the obvious similarities, people were getting $20 worth of free software.

"In the time I have been running both programs, the free program has only detected one piece of spyware, while CounterSpy has detected maybe a dozen, mostly key loggers.

"The last few times I found items using CounterSpy, I did not quarantine them. Instead, I ran the Microsoft program, which failed in each case to detect the spyware.

"Looking deeper, you find that the similarity of the two programs is superficial:

The CounterSpy installation is larger: 64 MB compared to 14 MB for MS.

The files examined by CS are about 62,000 compared to 20,000 by MS.

The Registry locations examined are about 12,000 for CS and 8,500 for MS.

"Just thought people should know."

Some of the numerical differences can be explained by the fact that CounterSpy detects cookies and MS AntiSpyware does not. But CounterSpy also appears to beat the MS AntiSpyware beta because CounterSpy enjoys access to Microsoft's spyware database as well as Sunbelt Software's own reporting network. This means CounterSpy benefits from the resources of Microsoft's detection methods as well as its own spyware signature development.

hmmmm

with this info, all of a sudden i think less of this

it sounds right though too

i couldnt belive that microsoft was geting reports of a good product that ACTULLY works

o well, maybe it will be good when it leaves beta in a *few years*

ah

o well

I've been using it along with all the others & it seems to work great. Just another layer of protection as far as I'm concerned.

csamuels said:
An additional factor is that MS AntiSpyware has been in beta since Microsoft acquired and renamed the program formerly known as Giant AntiSpyware in November. Many magazines dislike rating beta software.

Windows Secrets reader Bob Wilson has been conducting his own tests of the two competing programs. He's achieved some very interesting findings:

"I started using CounterSpy several months ago when it was first introduced. I then installed [the free, beta version of] Microsoft AntiSpyware. I thought that, due to the obvious similarities, people were getting $20 worth of free software.

"In the time I have been running both programs, the free program has only detected one piece of spyware, while CounterSpy has detected maybe a dozen, mostly key loggers.

"The last few times I found items using CounterSpy, I did not quarantine them. Instead, I ran the Microsoft program, which failed in each case to detect the spyware.

"Looking deeper, you find that the similarity of the two programs is superficial:

The CounterSpy installation is larger: 64 MB compared to 14 MB for MS.

The files examined by CS are about 62,000 compared to 20,000 by MS.

The Registry locations examined are about 12,000 for CS and 8,500 for MS.

"Just thought people should know."

Some of the numerical differences can be explained by the fact that CounterSpy detects cookies and MS AntiSpyware does not. But CounterSpy also appears to beat the MS AntiSpyware beta because CounterSpy enjoys access to Microsoft's spyware database as well as Sunbelt Software's own reporting network. This means CounterSpy benefits from the resources of Microsoft's detection methods as well as its own spyware signature development.

Thanks for the info, I'll download CounterSpy now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom