Registry Tweak??? (Prevent Wireless AP Detection) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to mp3spy
Question Registry Tweak??? (Prevent Wireless AP Detection)

I was wondering if there was a registry tweak/hack that can done in which prevents windows XP Pro from detecting any available wireless access points in the area??? I was thinking about "Wireless Zero Config" service and disabling that but i doubt that will do it. Many users in the building are not loyal to company policy and may piggy back on random networks around the area. Being that we have a Wired Network and some of our new laptops have wireless adapaters preinstalled this poses a problem.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

If you don't want anyone on your network, just make it secure with WEP encryption and no one will get on, disable your SSID too.You should be fine.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

No No, we have a WIRED network. The problem is having people in the building jump on external unprotected wireless networks in the area. As i said, some of the new laptops have wireless cards preinstalled. This allows them to jump on any open/unprotected wireless network. I want to mod the registry so windows does not display that there are AVAILBLE wireless networks when they are in range.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

OK. This will stop all notifications:

Disable All Notifications

This should do it.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I don't want to disable all notifications. Only that specific one. Can you give me the registry strings so I can browse myself or foward me the link to the regedits page. I can't go to the regedits page because the page requests authorization.
Closed Thread