Registry problem - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2005, 09:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Registry problem

I'm leaning towards reloading this computer, but wanted to check to make sure there's nothing I can do.

I've got a friends system who's kid loaded a game on her machine without her permission. The game never would never finish loading and the install had to be cancelled. Next time the machine was rebooted, the windows XP screen comes up, then a blue screen with the following:

stop: c0000218 -{registry file failure}
registry cannot load the Hive (file)
or its log or alternate
it is corrupt, absent, or cannot writable

It then does a physical memory dump and says to contact the system admin for further assistance.

Anything I can try, or should I just reload it? I've read up on, but don't see anythign that helps me if I can't load Windows at all.

Old 01-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Roshi229 Send a message via Yahoo to Roshi229

try booting to safe mode, remove all traces of the game in msconfig and in the registry.
may take some work

what is the game?

<form action=\"\" method=\"get\">
<input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"> <input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search first, ask later!\"></form>
powered by emily .
Old 01-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

I'm not sure what game it was. I know the kid tried it on his computer and it wouldn't complete, then he tried it on his mom's. Big trouble.

Anyway, I've tried safe mode and last good configuration and get nothing. It takes different routes, but always winds up at the same blue screen.

I'm thinking it's dead. I was able to get in and back up her data with Knoppix, so reloading isn't a huge deal other than the time it takes to do it.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

you have an option or two, but I'm not sure you'll like them...
1. You can make a copy of the file that is reported to be corrupt and fix it.
2. load the default software hive by changing the current name to .new or whatever and then removing the name software.old to software (no extention) That will let the system use the original hive.
3. system restore from the XP recovery console... (probably the best option)

Good luck
Closed Thread