Registry issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celticsfan

Banned
I believe I am having a problem with one of my registry keys changes as my desktop keeps on appearing and disappearing. Spybot S & D says a reg key has changed. How can I fix this please? I tried system restore but it only allows me to go back until today. Any help is appreciated.

OS is XP pro

Well what Registry Key? If you do not know the default value you can not fix it. Do a repair install.

Mak, I pressed enter after being asked for password and now I am at the c:\windows prompt.

What do I need to enter now please to continue with repair?

thx

Mak, During the repair portion of it, does it go on to say installing windows to finish the repair? Like it does a fresh install or did I do something wrong? I never did this before.

No that is right. It is replacing the corrupt Files with default ones.

So it looks like a normal install and asks for key code and takes just as long as a normal install and it is replacing the corrupt Files with default ones but I will have my normal desktop with all my software on it, correct?

thx Mak

Mak, Did all that you suggested but I still have a blank desktop. Any other suggestions or do I need to reinstall OS.

Oh, before I forget, at the end of the repair session it asked if I wanted to register with MS, I said no, I will do it later. Could that have caused my blank desktop.

What did you do to cause this blank desktop? Please edit your post. You only posted 40 minutes apart. You should still have been able to edit.

With Spybot s&d i accidently changed a registry key and I don't know which one. Is there something else I can do or Do I have to do fresh install?

Is there a way to do a system restore to a previous day without desktop? If so, how please?

How do I do a new profile without desktop?

How do I run chkdisk /r without desktop?

Please help as I do not want to reinstall OS.

Unless you have made the restore point there is no way to go back. Maybe you can force explorer.exe. Get the task manager up and File>Run type in explorer.exe see if it works. If not you are stuck reinstalling.

Check disk will not help. That only checks the disk for errors. It doesnt fix the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom