Registry hack caused weird problems!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkonflictx

Solid State Member
Hi all,

I found a tip online (a registry hack) to add 'copy to' and 'move to' to the right-click context menu of files, so i did it, and it works great!

However, when i goto my music folder now, and click the 'play all' link in the associated tasks list on left hand side it just opens up a 'move to' and 'copy to' window simultaneously .. asking me where i want to copy/move all the files respectively, and when i click cancel/cancel on move/copy windows explorer has an error, closes, and no music or folder window open anymore :S.

Now i know its my bad .. the registry is a dangerous thing but this seemed so minor and useful (which is has been).. but cant belive its caused this issue i use 'play all' ALL the time.

Any help as to how i can resolve this pelase?

Iv tried removing the two keys i added to the registry but that doesnt work ... now when i click it it doesnt come up with move/copy to things anymore just get the error straight away and explorer closes . I know iv probably cocked up the registry reference but any ideas how i can add it again maybe?

Thanks in advance for any input guys.

try a system restore

start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore > restore my computer to an earlier time > next > chose a date before where you know that it worked > next >

Iv been very busy installing things/tweaking/changing stuff and was at least 36 hours ago would rather leave that as a last resort tbh.

Any other ideas?

was this what you used

Make 2 new key in at the file extension
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\Con
textMenuHandlers
in regedit

start run regedit

head to the key
textMenuHandlers,
make a new key name it copy to

click default, right click, click modify, copy and paste the values
after the hot keys below below

textMenuHandlers\Copy To.
put this is the value part

{C2FBB630-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

repeat the steps for a move to folder

textMenuHandlers\Move To.
put this is the value part

{C2FBB631-2971-11D1-A18C-00C04FD75D13}

it always worked for me

Yea thats the one man.. and it does work fine... well the actual regedit itself BUT it broke my 'Play all' link (in music folders) in the process!!

Ok after a couple restores and some tests i found out that it in fact wasnt adding those hacks to the registry that did it.. but the 'add notepad++ to context menu' option on the notepadd++ install ;/.

Just so happened i did them at the same time pretty much and really didnt think it was that. After i restored back i just kept testing at each stage to see when the link broke. Missed in first time round tho because i didnt think to test afetr installing notepad++ again but did second time round.

Thanks for all your inputs tho guys.. is much appreicated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom