Registry error in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHAWN

Field Engineer
"(The Registry Is Corrupt) The structure of one of the files that contains Registry data is corrupt, or the image of the file in memory is corrupt, or the file could not be recovered because the alternate copy or log was absent or corrupt."

I researched this error on the Microsoft webpage and found nothing of use. Any ideas on how to repair this? Reload or Repair is not an option.

The few times I have seen this, I had to rebuild the machine.

Have you tried system restore, if your on XP.
There was an article around some where for restoring the registry, but it didn't work the way I was hoping. It pretty much rest the machine to the first boot. not what I was wanting...

can you get access to the registy files from the recovery console? Can you try using BartPE to get into them and look at them with a registry viewer?
What changed that might have caused this? Also, have you run checkdisk yet?

Inaris said:
can you get access to the registy files from the recovery console? Can you try using BartPE to get into them and look at them with a registry viewer?
What changed that might have caused this? Also, have you run checkdisk yet?

To be honest because I never saw this, I did not try to do anything about it until I researched the problem. This is a customers PC so its not like I want to do a trial and error.

i assume you already have this program,

but install/run ccleaner, and check for registry errors, i couldnt believe how many i had :O

Well unfortunatley you need to contact the customer and find out exactly what happended to cause this error. From there you have to find out the limitations of what you can do.

Basically you need to use Knippox or BartPE and take as much info as you can off there and then reload Windows.

With a registry that is corrupt like such with no backup available the only option is to either try a repair install or to just flat out reinstall windows. A repair will most likely not work since it keeps most of the registry intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom