Registry error on start up WIN98 SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

julian98

Beta member
I have a problem in that on boot up the following message displays:

"Windows encountered an error accessing the registry. Windows will restart and repair the system registry for you."

I click OK and the machine re-boots and the registry checker start
"repairing C;\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DAT"

I then get the message
"Windows found an error in your system files and successfully fixed the problem"

The machine now performs normally...........until I boot up again when the whole process begins again !

This is a completely fresh install of WINDOWS98SE following formatting the C:\ drive. and clearing the CMOS of the MBoard.

The MBoard is a Gigabyte GA-5AX, 64mb memory. Diamond Viper 8MB AGP
Iomega 100mb IDE Atapi ZIP drive and 24 speed CD ROM
300w PSU

This machine is used for checking out bit and pieces of both hardware and software and is not my regular machine.

Any suggestions please ?

I had this similar error a while ago. Turns out that my installation didn't go smoothly. I aquired a different Win98SE disk and reformatted and re-installed. After this, the error never returned.

-Michael

i got this problem in windows millenium. i went so far as to make a batch file to start scanreg at windows startup, didn't work. a reinstall fixed it for me too

Julian98, your problem is Windows 98 and ek/Esine, yours is Windows ME.... nar not really i reckon 98 is better than ME
one thing to check is the CD might need cleaning (one time I couldn't install XP cos of dirt on the CD) or maybe try downloading the System.dat again then put it in C:\Windows\

Well, I thank you all for your suggestions. - but having tried a clean install from another W98 CD I still have the problem - which suggests to me that it is somehow hardware related ?

I have tried two new memory (2 x 64mb) sticks and it is still the same.........

Does anyone have any further suggestions ?

Finally solved the problem - failing hard drive.
Replaced same and no more problems (so far...........)

Thanks to all for help and assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom