Regarding Bootable CD's

BigReid

Beta member
My question is not HOW to create a bootable CD.

My question deals with a dilemma that I am encountering while creating one.

I have no problem creating bootable CD's, but, using two different creation softwares, I run into the same problem.

My end goal is to end up with a bootable DOS 6.22 CD, which I can create with no issues.

Both of these creation softwares, (PowerISO, and Nero), allow you to create a bootable CD, providing you have the original boot disk, and I do, I have the three original Microsoft DOS 6.22 install floppies.

Now, as part of the creation, your allowed to add additional files/folders to the final burn, being that it will end up on a CD, which offers ample room for additional content.

So, I put Disk 1 of 6.22 into the floppy, and in the creation software, I drag and drop the additional files and folders, (in DOS ISO9600, non Joliet 8 character format), and burn the boot disk.

Boot disk works, I can boot from it, and am in the DOS 6.22 environment.

However, I can only see the "files" that I dragged and dropped into the compilation, NOT the "folders".

Both creation softwares have this same identical drawback.

Now if I look at that same boot disk in Windows 7 Windows Explorer, I can not only see the files I added, but I can ALSO see the folders I added. But when I boot from the CD, I can only see the files I added, NOT the folders.

To boot, (no pun intended), the folders that I am adding are from DOS. They are DOS created folders, with DOS created text files in them.

Being that both softwares fail at this, there must be some logic behind it.

What gives?

WHat's the software you are needing to run in DOS? You might need to create a bootable flash drive to get into the DOS environment then have the disc with those files as standalone.

The logic is that your knowledge is very small, but you will not be given any courses here. You should study a little before and here you can get help if you have a specific problem. Courses are not organized here.

PP Mguire, thank you for your input.

Long and short, I was creating the Boot CD under the default setting, as a virtual
floppy, when in fact I needed to be creating it as a virtual hard drive, so that I could
in fact, encompass the entire hard drive that DOS resides on, all 20 MB of it, files,
folders and all. Once I made the change, everything worked perfect, I now have the entire functioning DOS environment on one bootable CD.

And as for you, kalju, always a pleasure to share this earth under the leadership of egomaniacal, supercilious, contemptuous individuals such as yourself. Forgive me Lord and Master, for not being of the cosmic intelligence level that you possess. Sarcastically I say to you, you would make an empathetic and inspirational instructor.

You can ignore him.

You didn't mention anything virtual, or maybe I wasn't fully understanding what you were trying to do. I was under the impression you were burning files to a physical CD as bootable.

Protip, I tend to strictly use UltraISO these days for bootable media whether it be flash or disk.

Back
Top Bottom