Refresh required to see newly created folders? + Random error sound on the hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
Problem One:

The office got a hold of me today and said they all experience something weird that started out of no where, just a few days ago. When they create a folder or rename a folder, windows explorer doesn't show the change unless they refresh it. This wasn't required to do before. The only thing that has changed since their systems were put in place 1.5 years ago was windows updates. I haven't even worked on their computers since they were put in.

Systems are Dell Optiplex 740's. 3gb RAM Core2Duo Intel. XP Pro SP3.

Problem Two:

In another building, there's a set of 4 computers (older Dells) that on the hour, every hour, have an error message that sounds off. It's your typical Windows notification sound that an error has occured or some crap. It happens every day. Every hour. On the hour. *shrug* XP Pro SP3.

I have absolutely never had Windows XP Professional "not" show you the files/folders you create on the fly. There is absolutely no reason to have to hit F5 to refresh the page. XP has worked before. I don't understand what changed now.

The only time that XP has done this is when I'm working from a remote network share. If I connect an XP box to a Linux/Samba server, sometimes when I make changes I do have to hit refresh. Often times, it's the changes I make on the Linux server WITHIN that share that requires the XP box to refresh. AKA - XP box is looking at network share, it sees folders A B C. On the Linux box, I drop a folder in the share named D. XP doesn't see D unless it refreshes. That's the only time it's done that.

Plus I can't understand this beep error thing. Plus it's frustrating because not only does it disturb the classes, but something happens to the power point presentations happening that causes them to unmaximize. This is what the teacher told me (who's very computer savy). I did not see this happen first hand because when I experienced this, no power point was currently playing.

Just cause you have never had XP "not" show you doesnt mean a thing. It could easily be due to a changed setting or something else affecting the machine. I have seen it happen out of no where on XP/Vista/Win7. The cause i still have yet to determine. My solution was to just format since it was quicker for me than to try and trouble shoot through the 200+ apps i have installed/uninstalled and many changes i made to the OS.

So what has changed now? Who knows. can you sit here and say everything that was done to the machine once it hit the classroom? I didnt think so. So who knows what could have happened. Maybe a update caused it? Maybe something with the Dell caused it? Who knows. We cant explain everything you know that.

The beep error, what is it exactly? There are hundreds of sounds for windows. which sound is it? Is it specifically the error beep? If so you would be better off just re-imaging that machine.

So what has changed now? Who knows. can you sit here and say everything that was done to the machine once it hit the classroom? I didnt think so.

There's a handful of machines that did this. And they aren't student computers. They each are used by only 1 person -ever-. They are in the admin offices of the district. I've seen some very, very weird stuff with computers in the labs. Each time I just assume it's a student screwing around - because let's be realistic... 100% of the time it IS a student screwing around. But when I see 8 computers, all used by responsible individuals and nobody else, and we didn't change anything... it makes you wonder. The only thing that these users noticed differently was it prompted them to install updates when they shut their computers off. *shrug* I know it's not that descriptive but it's the best I can do based on memory.

The beep error, what is it exactly? There are hundreds of sounds for windows. which sound is it? Is it specifically the error beep? If so you would be better off just re-imaging that machine.

I was considering that, because it started with these 4 machines that are used in the tech-ed lab. Okay, no big deal. So I was planning on when I could do it. I go to another classroom and I heard an error message on the teacher computer I was working on. I look up... no error. I look at the clock... 2:00 PM. WTF??

The error message is like... THE error message for Windows XP. I know there's multiple sounds but it's the most common error sound I've ever gotten on XP. The times I can recall getting a legit error before in XP and having that same sound all remind me of when I was doing something in windows explorer.... like I deleted something or ran out of space or something...

Like i said, it could have been a bad update cycle. If you even have updates on. Without knowing what those 8 people do every minute of every day on the PC it is almost impossible to sit here adn try to guess what it could be.

The best way to even start to diagnose the beep error. Event Viewer. That is going to be the only way to even start.

Honestly you are probably going to have better luck just re-imaging the machines and starting fresh. With the setup you got it will probably take you less time than it would to trouble shoot this. But if you want to try Even Viewer is the place to start.

It could be a clock issue, could be a alarm is set. Could be any number of things really. But those are the ones that i would look at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom