Reformatting from Win ME to Win 98se.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Deathtool

Beta member
Just a little curious if there is anything special with downgrading from WIN ME to WIN 98SE? Actually that is not a downgrade but an improvement! HEHE:) I normally do not work with WIN ME so I was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be done before I reformat and place 98se on the computer? Any thoughts or assistance would be great!!!!

Thank you to everyone that replies.

Something to do before format?

I dont thing so, maby only backup files you need to cd/discet. Every thing that you will do with current windows will be deleted when formatting.

Oh, and, of course if you haven't all the drivers for your computer on disks/discets, so, write down all devciers info (on which you haven't drivers), that you will be able to find drivers to it after installing a new OS.

Thank you - - I kind of figured that I would need to make sure that I have the drivers for at least the (video + sound) before reformatting but just wanted to make sure.

Also, should I create a 98se boot disk? Or do I just perform everything from CD-ROM?

Yes, create 98se boot disk, because Windows 98se CD in not bootable (at least mine version). So I had to boot up with the floppy into DOS, than format, make partitions (if needed), then navigate into directory that contains setup.exe file (on windows CD), run it, an then follow the order of installation wizzard.

Also check if u have driver for your modem, cuz once I had 56k modem, and it took me a lot of time to find out its model to find driver.

No Modem necessary - - the person has Roadrunner. But I will make a quick note of all hardware on the PC before I reformat!

Thanks for your replies I do appreciate the feedback!!

smartech said:
Yes, create 98se boot disk, because Windows 98se CD in not bootable (at least mine version).

No... the Win98 CD IS bootable. You just probably didn't have your BIOS set to boot from the CD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom