Reformatting Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smind

Beta member
Okay so it all happened roughly a week ago when I turned off my computer improperly because it froze. When I turned on the computer it did a scan disk and I noticed that it couldn't find half my files. Basically, all of my .dll files for all of my programs were wiped out. I tried to reformat with an older Windows XP cd but it didn't work because it said the version I currently had was newer. This is where it gets uglier. After brain storming for a few minutes I decided to delete windows service pack 2 and reinstall windows. I thought it was working until I ended up with tons of errors. The first of many errors was one that appeared during the windows installation it said something along the lines like "SCSI is missing”. I was confused because my CD-rom was working fine. After attempting to reformat I decided to try to reinstall service pack 2. It didn't work.
The next error I received was hal.dll was missing. Then I got another error about my kernel being screwed up. Eventually, I tried to fix the problem by reinstalling my bios. Now whenever I try to turn on my computer the monitor doesn't even turn on!
I know my monitor works because when i unplug it from the back of the computer it has a icon that says "monitor is disconnected RGB"
Please help!

when you start your computer do you get any messages at all or does it just stay black? if you get nothing on your monitor you probably killed your motherboard and a replacement BIOS chip is needed.

EDIT: try clearing you CMOS over night to see if your computer can boot. here is a link with instructions to clear your CMOS
DIY-Street Forums - View Single Post - 4 debug lights

for the SCSI error: you're using a SCSI HD so when you format you computer you have to hit F1 or the button it tells you to press during the windows installation to install your SCSI driver. It will than ask you to pop in your SCSI driver floppy. After that just follow the instructions on your screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom