Reformatting and driver cleaning question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tillman89

Solid State Member
Hi

I'm kinda pedantic and atm is my comp not "exactly" as clean as I want it :p

The registry i beginning to look a bit messy (I use CCleaner but it still has some problems)

Programs have stopped working.

A lot of old drivers are left from old hardware etc. (by using "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1" and then watching the device manager a can see a lot of old drivers but I don't know which to uninstall)

Plus some more reasons.

Therefore I've decided to start over again from scratch. I 'm going to reformat C:\ and reinstall windows xp. The C:\ partition only contains winxp so I don't have to worry about backups (more than that I got to have all drivers).

This is my first time reformatting and I'd like to know exactly what the reformatting/reinstalling of OS does. Does it, for example, clean all the drivers or do I need to use Driver Cleaner Pro or clean from Device Manager or something? Because I really want to start fresh and to be in charge of exactly everything that is going to be installed on my comp.

If you format your C drive you will have nothing on that drive until you reinstall windows so you will only have basic windows + what comes with windows. All drivers, documents, files, pictures, movies and games will be gone if present on that drive. Some drivers will be reinstalled with windows.

Okay so (excuse me if I sound noobish) the drivers are only installed on the harddrive? There is nothing installed on the very hardware? Like on the USB-buses, that can remain even after a harddrive cleaning?

Thanks for your fast reply =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom