reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickis

Solid State Member
im helping out a friend with their comp. they want to upgrade from windows 95 to 98se. we put in the 98 se disk, and theres an error that pops up saying to run a scan dish to be able to locate the drives but that dosent seem to work. is there a way to just completely reformate the hd and install the new windows. nothing needs to be saved so any suggestions on the easiest way to do this would be much appriciated.

if he has more than one cd drive make sure you are sticking the os cd in the right drive. i was reformatting a friend's computer and i had a similar problem. it took me about three hours to figure out that i had the os cd in the wrong drive. hope this helps

Just put the windows 98 boot disk in, run it with CD rom Support. at cmd line type a:>format c: /q and press enter for ok. Once that is done. Browse to the CD-ROm drive, e:, f: or whatever it finds them as. then type setup and it should take you to the setup og 98. Hope this helps

to format the hd to you need to make a boot disk. we tried that and tried to forat the disk and put the system files on i but it wouldnt work, it was saying it couldnt write to the disk for some reason.

ok, ill download that. after i do that do i just pop in the new windows cd and boot from it or do i need to make one of those floppy boot disks?

Killdisk needs to be on a floppy boot disk, but for XP yeah just put in the CD and boot from it.

i was reading somewhere that afteri format the hard drive, i need to make another boot disk with cdrom drivers on it to be able to run the windows cd. how would i go about doing this.

nickis said:
im helping out a friend with their comp. they want to upgrade from windows 95 to 98se. we put in the 98 se disk, and theres an error that pops up saying to run a scan dish to be able to locate the drives but that dosent seem to work. is there a way to just completely reformate the hd and install the new windows. nothing needs to be saved so any suggestions on the easiest way to do this would be much appriciated.

If you don't know about video.sound,modem,etc drivers. don't format. you don't have to worry much about that if you upgrade.
what is your error,exactly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom