Reformatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ApexFlow

Beta member
Hi,

I've been trying to reformat lately, but it seems I am not able to. I have tried to go into the Command Prompt, and type 'format c:' however it says it is in use. I also tried right clicking my hard drive, and going to format, said the same thing. How do I get to the command prompt before Windows boots so I can type in the command to delete all my files on the partition?

Thanks

Windows XP, however when I boot via the CD, it loads up, I go on, to the agreemant, but when I get there, there isn't an option to delete current files on the drive, or am I missing something?

probably you are trying to format the partition/drive where windows is installed?

you cannot let windows format itself..you have to get out of windows using a dos or windows98/95 bootfloppy and then type format c:

you can download partition magic and create the partition magic bootdisks...it's the best formatting/partitioning program i've seen

ApexFlow said:
Windows XP, however when I boot via the CD, it loads up, I go on, to the agreemant, but when I get there, there isn't an option to delete current files on the drive, or am I missing something?

Just use xp repair when you boot from cd

ApexFlow said:
I have tried to go into the Command Prompt, and type 'format c:' however it says it is in use. I also tried right clicking my hard drive, and going to format, said the same thing.

you can't format a drive that is in use. like he said either format using the winXP CD or goto computerhope.com and read up on formatting and FDISK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom