Reformating+Reinstalling XP Home - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Reformating+Reinstalling XP Home

Hi, upgrading MOBO+CPU and was wondering how to go about formatting+ Reinstallation. I know how to reformat (Rightclick on HDD format +run full format) but what will happen once this completes? do i just boot from CD when it asks and in BIOS make sure cd-boots first?

Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

You would reformat from the CD also, you cant reformat your C drive by right clicking it

With all due respect John, I am the head of IT and I have it on good authority. If you type "Google" into Google, you can break the Internet. So please, no one try it, even for a joke.........It's not a laughing matter. You can break the Internet.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Re: Reformating+Reinstalling XP Home

Quote:
Originally posted by EndofSanity
Hi, upgrading MOBO+CPU and was wondering how to go about formatting+ Reinstallation. I know how to reformat (Rightclick on HDD format +run full format) but what will happen once this completes? do i just boot from CD when it asks and in BIOS make sure cd-boots first?

thats not what you do. you need to use either a windows 98 oem bootdisk for fdisk and format or use your windows cd
Old 01-06-2006, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Holy ****. Listen Up.
Right click on My computer then click manage.
Once you have done that on the side list under storage click on Disk Management. Right click on the drive you want to format and click either delete partition (Which will delete your OS) or click format which will completely wipe your drive.
You also have another choice.
Insert your Windows XP cd and boot from that. it should take you through some steps and just select the ones you want. One of them should say "Overwrite existing partition" or something like that.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Quote:
Originally posted by sinci
Holy ****. Listen Up.
Right click on My computer then click manage.
Once you have done that on the side list under storage click on Disk Management. Right click on the drive you want to format and click either delete partition (Which will delete your OS) or click format which will completely wipe your drive.
You also have another choice.
Insert your Windows XP cd and boot from that. it should take you through some steps and just select the ones you want. One of them should say "Overwrite existing partition" or something like that.

You can not format the hdd that the windows OS in on that is why I told him to do that