Reformating a computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Reformating a computer

Ok my other computer has a virus so i tried to reformat it but every time i reformatting it with windows xp the windows xp loads all the stuff in the blue screen and then restarts the computer and then does it agian and agian. So then i put the hard drive in this computer and reformated it and did a FULL hard drive wipe. Then i putted it bk in the other computer and the same thing happens agian with the windows xp cd it just keeps loading the windows setup and then restarts and does it again. Please help. Thanks in advance.

Edit:
Also i have reformatted my computers many times before so i'm not so nooby with computers

Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Reformating a computer

take the cd out so it will boot to the hdd, then put it back it

Old 04-25-2007, 09:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so after i put the cd in once take it out after it restarts?

*I have no operation system on it yet. I'm trying to install xp
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX12 View Post
Ok my other computer has a virus so i tried to reformat it but every time i reformatting it with windows xp the windows xp loads all the stuff in the blue screen and
take it out right here. then when it start to pick up the hdd install put it back in
Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

when do i know it picks up the hdd install?
Then when i try to do that it just tells me to put the cd bk in.
cuz the windows xp setup never gets to the part where u get to pick options
also remember that the computer did have a virus on it before
Old 04-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

You're not hitting a key to boot from CD are you? It will restart automatically and try to boot from the CD but you have to hit a key to do this. If you don't hit any keys, it will (should) boot from the hard drive.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

well heres what i do when i turn it on. I press the on button with the windows xp cd inside it and then i see a couple of _ and then goes to the windows setup
Old 04-25-2007, 11:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

try deleting it with powermax that's in my signature. this will take out any bootsector viruses. try the quick erase option. then try the to reinstall
Old 04-26-2007, 02:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

...So it keeps booting to the setup cd. And you've tried taking the setup cd out when it gives you that 15 second warning that it's going to reboot?

Really this just sounds like the boot sequence isn't waiting for a key to be pressed before booting to the cd. Remove the cd before it trys to load from it, or change the boot order in the bios so that the hard drive boots before the cd drive does.

Closed Thread