Reformat & Reinstall - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2003, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Reformat & Reinstall

I have a custom built computer with Windows ME. I want to clean the C drive and reinstall ME. I have never done this before and would like to know step by step how this is done. The real worry I have is about drivers will windows install all of the required drivers that I need? If it doesn't will I get a error message and if so what will it tell me? If I need a driver what should I do? I have the Windows ME CD, I created a Windows ME start up disk, and I have all the CD's that came with the computer. Most of the CD's have the original drivers for the hardware that's installed on the computer. Now if I need a hardware driver would I have to pop in the hardware CD and install it from there?

Old 11-23-2003, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

if your computer had a restore CD, put the first CD (1 of 2, ect) into the cd-rom drive and reboot. their may be a system and application recovery cd set. use the system cd's first and follow the directions when it boots up. you would not need to worry about drivers with restore cd's.

if you have no restore CD you will have to do it the hard way. you must find all drivers for all devices you have that winME cannot detect automatically. than you must partition, format and install your operating system manually. by what you said i am assuming you do have the restore CD's.

Old 11-23-2003, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

From what I know a "Restore" disk puts your PC back to the way it was when ya bought it. You lose everything that ya loaded since your install.
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 11-23-2003, 09:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Before you re-install WinMe make the restore CD. I'm sure WinMe has the 'Restore Wizard', under 'My Computer' right click on the local drive, go to 'Properties', 'Tools' tab then 'Backup Now' button, then 'Restore Wizard' button. Then you can use the restore CD once you have re-installed the OS but if you're having problems with the OS now you may pass them over in the process. In that case I would just start with a clean slate. But my best advice is upgrade to Win2K or WinXP.
<font face=\"arial\" color=\"#414D6A\" size=\"1\">PC SPECS:</font>
<font face=\"arial\" size=\"1\">
AMD Bartion 2500+ 1800Mhz
PC2100 256Mb DDRAM x 2
LG 52x24x52 CD
Seagate 80Gb 7200rpm 2Mb
ATI Radeon 9550 256Mb 8x
Intergrated PCI sound
17\" Samsung LCD 173s
Closed Thread