Recycle Bin issues - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Recycle Bin issues

When I delete a file, it will go into the recycle bin. I can then see the icon as 'full'. However, when I Open the recycle bin, the deleted files are visible for a second, before then dissappearing. I know the files are in there, and they do not appear as hidden files or operation system hidden files. The recycle bin is still full and the only way I can empty the bin is to right click and select 'empty recycle bin'. Everything goes back to empty, however the problem comes when I want to 'restore' files back from the recycle bin - I can't. I can restore all files, but not specific ones.

The laptop has a single hard drive, partitioned into two drives, one mirroring the other. When a file is deleted, two copies (I assume one from each drive) is sent to the recycle bin. It's not a question of lack of space (drives configured to allow up to 10% for recycle bin), nor is it something to do with settings (the recycle bin does not auto delete, the files still remain in).

I have tried renaming /Recycler, then deleting the file and deleting the old /recycler file and essentially getting a new 'Recycler' file, however it didn't work.

EDIT: I have two identical drives: C and M. When I delete from C, both files disappear. When I delete from M, one of the files dissapears and the other remains visible. When I delete this visible file, the other one deletes as well. Seems strange...

Old 07-27-2007, 09:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: Recycle Bin issues

not sure what the problem is but there are some programs that can get it for you....what i recomend you doing is to go ahead and empty the recycle bin and then use a program like recova (the same people who made ccleaner) and use that to recover the file (it might work while the file is in the trash but im not sure...i am sure that it works after u empty the trash.....another version of that program is called restore.....its open source i think but recova is easier to use....and if u deleted a whole might not work so dont risk it if its important) actually, if whatever it is is extremly important, then dont risk deleting it cus recova cant guarantee anything. i would just wait for somebody to respond who has more knowledge in the topic....

hope that helps
Closed Thread