Recovering Outlook (Outlook Express) Mail and Contacts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
The problem is this.

Customer's version of Windows Xp Pro is now currupted. Not sure how, but every time we try to boot up, it freezes on MUP.SYS.
Basically, I am going to try to back up the data by slaving the drive on to another computer and drags the files accross that way.

Now the customer does have some important emials and email contacts on this computer. I am 90% sure he is using Outlook Express (he might be using OUTLOOK XP). I need to find out where Windows Xp hides the files that stores his emails and his contract list.

And after finding those files, how do I do about restoring them when I re-isntall his OS.

BTW, I am open to suggestions on MUP.SYS.

If you boot to his xp, choose install then repair. it will reinstall xp and his files will still be there

Thanks! I would be forwarding that one around to a few people that I know.

Found your Posts with interest...

Microbell

I was just looking to see if there was any info on how to back-up / save emails etc and I have found this thread.

I have both Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook. My default client is the latter.

Where would the equivalent address book for contacts and .dbx files for email be found for Microsoft outlook?

Thanks

Robin

Robin77,
With MS OUTLOOK, I make sure I EXPORT to a PERSONAL FORLDER FILE (*.pst) on a regulare basis.
One thing to watch out for it the *.pst file size after you export it. It's it only about 40btye, it means that some thing as gone wrong in the exporting procedure. And you will need to do it again.

PROVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE IMHO

Thanks

When you say 'Export' do you mean back-up to a CD?

I have found the .pst file on the C drive and it is 68MB in size. Should I now back this up on CD regularly?

No, mean export as in
FILES --> Import and Export --> Export To A File --> Personal Folder File

You can put this file on to CD if you want. It's would be a wise idea. It really comes down to the following :-
1. How valuable is your email?
2. How is your computer stability?
3. Whether or not you treat your computer like a "TEMPLE" or an "AMUSEMENT PARK"
4. And even if you treat your comptuer like a Temple, some times $#!+ happens.

Like I say that I should back this up on a regulare basis, but I don't back up as offen as I should.
But then again, it really my contact that i am more conserned with, and i have those on my PDA too. It's my contact that I am more conserned about.

well...i can sure say that I wish i read this thread 2 days ago :p

can anyone reccomend a good recovery program to see if I can recover the above files?

There is a program called Recover It. It's free. However I do not have the URL.

[EDIT] The program is called Recover IT 2.514. It's free.
I don't know why I don't have this program on my home computer. [/EDIT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom