Recovering fliles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are lucky enough to be able to clone it you wont clone the issue. The issue is a read/write head failure which cant be cloned.

It would most likely die before the clone finished, especially if its clicking. Do the freezer trick and be quick about copying files over. Do it in short bursts if you have to.

It would most likely die before the clone finished, especially if its clicking. Do the freezer trick and be quick about copying files over. Do it in short bursts if you have to.

That's what I had to do. By drag and dropping folder(s) one partition at a time while the drive still functioned. I didn't have to do the boot partition since was imaged.

OK. Put in a new SATA drive - and it's still not recgonizing in the startup.

I can still see it in the bios (techinal talk: In the SATA II plug, it's there, but the SATA II reader is set to IDE, and S.M.A.R.T. is 'off')

I can no longer see the old, clicking drive thru an external reader for internal devices...

so....

is the SATA plug shot on the motherboard? I don't understand why I can't read the new drive I plugged in.

You shouldnt be able to see the new Drive until you format it to a File System that is recognized. There is no OS out there that can Recognize RAW format.

You shouldnt be able to see the new Drive until you format it to a File System that is recognized. There is no OS out there that can Recognize RAW format.

cheers.

I can see it in device manager, see it in the bios, but it doesn't show up on 'My Computer', and it doesn't show up in xxclone's HD reader.

....wtf?

As Eric just said and i said in my post that you quoted. It will not be recognized until your format it.

If you don't know how to do this:

Start > right click 'My Computer' > click on 'Manage...' > click on "Disk Management" on the left-side of the screen > find the drive in the right side of the screen on the bottom half of the list > right click it and the option for "Format" should be available.

Unfortunately, my clicking drive is now not picking up. The good news is I was able to get the drive recgonized thru an external reader a few days ago for a short time, long enough to pull off the my doc folder, and some photos of the kids. But now it's kaput. Even the ole 'freezer' trick didn't work.

looks like I'll have to start from scratch on it. Unless someone has a better idea to read the fried drive.

BTW, I can still see the crashed drive in device manager, but not in my computer>manage>disc management. I don't know why exactly, but I'm guessing it's f'ed, and I won't be able to clone it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom