Recovering fliles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbphan041

Baseband Member
C drive crashed. It didn't start clicking until after it crashed, naturally. It's a SATA drive.

hooked up another bootable drive to run the system, hoping to 'slave' in the former C drive to recover files.

the crashed drive does not recognize.

however!!!

if I go thru the BIOS, I can see the drive listed on the SATA port, but it still doesn't show up as a drive.

so... is there any chance I can get the drive to recognize and I can recover the files?

No, it was probably a write head crash (the clicking) and you will need professional tools to recover the data. They will have to take the drive apart and recover the data off of the platters individually (pretty expensive).

The only real way around is to pull the data yourself, BUT that isn't an option for you as the drive probably isn't spinning correctly - so hooking another drive up or a USB kit won't work.

Moved to correct forum.

I would have to agree with the above. The clicking could be a failure of the head which is not good. The BIOS can see the drive sure, but accessing it and it beign recognized are 2 different things.

See if you can try to access it with a Linux LiveCD as well.

throw it in the freezer (ziplock it) first. then try it. that can sometime revive the hdd long enough to get data off of it

throw it in the freezer (ziplock it) first. then try it. that can sometime revive the hdd long enough to get data off of it
Haha awesome! I'm going to try that one. What does that do to the drive to allow temporary data retrieval?

Was going to suggest this, but of course EricB was here to beat me to it :p.

:laughing: That worked for me with an 80gb older Toshiba laptop drive. It took about a half dozen cooling cycles to get it all, but I lost nothing.

I used desiccant inside the bag as a precaution.

I was able to get it to recgonize via an external device (a Venus with a SATA plug on it).

I copied over a ton of stuff, and as I was copying over about 8 gigs worth of kids pix, it started clicking like mad and then told me that it could not copy anymore due to a hard drive failure. I could still see the drive, but nothing would copy over.

So, here's my question:

if I 'clone' the clicking, bad boot drive to a new drive, will that 'fix' the issue, or will it just 'clone' the problem?

I'm trying to figure out a way so I don't have to reinstall all my programs again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom