Recovering Files PLEASE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoobis

Solid State Member
left my computer defragmenting using diskeeper 8. left the C drive defragging and scheduled my other storage drive for about 4 hours later. woke up in the morning and there were a few error messages that i thought were nothing. came back from work in the afternoon and it started doing some recovery thing. panicked when i saw the word 'deleting' and restarted. canceled the disk checking. when windows started it said it couldn't access the drive.
re-started and let it check saw it 'deleting orphan file blahdeblah' and also 'recovering blahdeblah.utx' .utx is an unreal tournament file type, so it must have known something was there. when windows started this time about 3/4 of my files were there BUT the 3 main folders i use: mp3's (10gb) movies(30gb) and Unreal Tournament 99 & 2004 (8gb) were missing.
these are the 3 main folders i have on my computer (apart from windows etc ;) )
Is there any way of recovering these folders. i guess something went wrong when de-fragging and they were maybe left messed up?
when i try and open the shortcut it tries to find the link fails and comes up with a variety of errors. these are 2, this one is for a movie recording prog for UT
and
this one is for the UT shortcut

sorry this has been long but the more info the better i guess
many thanks to anyone who can help

There are programs out there (can't remember the names of any at the moment) that can recover files that are lost, but it is a very long and painful process according to my memory.

I learned this the hard way after my entire D:\ Drive was obliterated, but any files that are important should always be archived in an alternative storage device.

yeah that what i was thinking of . would they help recover files in this situation and does any know of any good ones?

Anoobis,

That's a bad idea to restart a computer while defragmenting. Can cause data corruption.

There are several programs that can be used to recover files. But you cannot expect all the files to be recovered . You can start your quest from here

thanks for the help guys. recovered about 1/4 of the files that i'd lost using a program i found. the rest i guess are too corrupted. retrieved about 400 mp3's a few movies... time to start d'loading again :D.
thanks anyway guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom